What stones are “dangerous?” Why would we put something potentially toxic on our bodies? Did you even know some were/are risky? It’s all a matter of perspective; stone uses, actual toxic elements involved & volumes.
The amazing colours of stones are there because of the mineral & metal elements present when the stone was formed in the earth. Does that mean they are all toxic and to be avoided. Mostly not but be guided by your own intuition as always. I found an excellent list here. And here is my list of “safe” stones, Quartz, Jaspers & Agates – all varieties including Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, & Aventurine, and I’m sure there are more.
Yes and mostly NO. I was advised to wash my hands after handling the Bumble Bee and I thought “how I could even make it wearable?” My solution was to varnish it. This was before I learned that once these kinds of stones are tumbled they are relatively safe*. Additionally, the amount of “toxicity” in each stone is usually very small compared to what a normal toxic dose would be for an adult.
You may have heard that Cinnabar is toxic. It is, in it’s natural form. It is mercury sulphide and most definitely to be avoided! However, the “Cinnabar” that forms jewelry is actually carved wooden beads stained with the dye made from the mineral and then laquered many, many times over.
If you have a stone you want to wear in your field but don’t want it to touch your skin, let’s talk custom. It’s usually easy for me to add a backing material. I often do this anyway, to cover a rough stone like the Balloon Sunset Back, or to highlight the stone itself like the Midnight Lace Obsidian. (This piece really needs to be seen in person. The stone is exquisite, however, it’s volcanic glass, polished to an amazing sheen & I’m not a good photographer 🙂
* DISCLAIMER: As I’ve said in previous posts; Do your own homework. And please don’t make elixirs to drink from the jewelry you buy from me – just saying!